So, the torch is lit, the athletes are off and skating/skiiing/sledding etc etc, and the yarnies are knitting and crocheting! What am I talking about? Yarn Harlot’s Knitting Olympics and Ravelry’s Ravelympics. Both events are similar in that yarnies are invited to attempt a challenging project during the seventeen days of games. In the main, the projects must be started and finished within the time that the Olympic flame is lit. I’ll be taking part in the Ravelympics, as I heard of that one first, in Team Gryffindor (from the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup)- ROAR, Gryffindor! (I’m a yarn geek and proud!) I’ve got my project lined up to do, it’s by my side now and I’ll make a start just as soon as I can post this and get my Grey’s Anatomy DVD started!
I have knitting and crochet as the two wordpress tags I follow on the tagsurfer, and when I looked at it last night, more than half of the yarnies were taking part in one or other of the winter olympic tribute events – it’ll be great to see what people come out with after the seventeen days!
I thought I’d list some of the other WordPress participants in either event, so that you can go and wish them luck. Plus, the Olympics are supposed to bring countries together – maybe I’ll make some new friends!
- Rogue Tess is knitting some pink ribbon socks; I really need to make time to knit my first pair of socks as well! Oh, and flame throwing tap shoes?? I’m intrigued – I need to find coverage of the opening ceremonies on iPlayer!
- Lina has started a Hammamelis shawl in a beautiful bronze colour, and has the cutest pictures of her dogs in the snow!
- Ms. Knit-It-All has started a project for herself, a cottage lace cardigan in another lovely rich brown yarn.
- ndscribbler has begun a lace vest – I’m in admiration of people who can knit lace whilst watching the tv – my lace project is strictly for silent time only!
- mtmom has cast on an inishturk tam – a lionbrand pattern which has a matching sweater which I hope will be a future project of mine. I’ll look forward to seeing how the tam turns out.
- Angelvista is knitting a pair of socks for her event – I’ve heard that sock knitting can become addictive once you’ve successfully completed your first pair. Is that true?
- Saltymomma is also knitting socks, and having seen the variegated yarn she’s using, I can’t wait to see how it knits up. Black and purple and turquoise and white – I’m intrigued!
- Jessica Lynn is taking part in the aerial unwind event – is that what I think it is?
- Yogageekfreak has cast on a project in pale blue, which looking at previous posts of hers will become a Rockefeller sweater – that looks lovely. Hmm, I can see that on me in the future!
- Hoc Age is aiming to knit an Icarus shawl in an effort to work on the ‘citus’ (faster) element of the Olympic motto of Citus, Altius,Fortius (Faster, Higher, Stronger). I’m sure Icarus is in my queue of things to knit as well, and her goal is a good one. I hope that the next sixteen and a half days make me a bit ‘citus’ at lace knitting!
Good luck everyone, and here’s to the successful completion of our events!